Saturday, January 2, 2010

Nictophobia

NICTOPHOBIC means that you're afraid of the dark. I'm not sure exactly and I am not the type to do any research, but "nicht" was probably a way of spelling "night", which as you know is obviously dark.
I am nictophobic. In fact I also have slight problems with insomnia, so it doesn't help that I share a room with my sister and she likes to sleep completely in the dark. 
Here I am now, eyes wide open even though I can't see a thing in this absence of light* - except for my phone so that if anything moves at least I will be able to vaguely detect the movement. I don't know if closing them and burying my head into my pillow will help - it might help me sleep, because I will admit I find comfort in such sensory blocks**, but it sure wouldn't help me feel completely safe. 
If I were to ask you to put this into a bigger context - like with Mankind and all the knowledge he has garnered over time... Mankind is really just on a tiny dust mote of a planet in a huge room he can't see the end of. And the room is dark but after long enough there, his eyes have gotten used to the darkness, his mind has gotten used to the idea that he can't possibly know everything about this huge universe of a room, not when the few cubic centimetres of air he floats in make up our galaxy and he can't even see past that, really. 
Is it then a comfort to have your eyes dilated, to have them already adjusted to the darkness? It doesn't seem to be to me because I still fear what I can't see past the dark abyss that lies in ambush at the end of my mattress. 
Mankind, fear too much what you don't know and can never know, and you'll never get rest, never get to close your eyes and drift off and wake up with your family the next morning to begin searching for answers in the light again. 
Mankind, fear too little what you don't know and the next morning there will never have been a point to the darkness. 

*I use this phrase, absence of light, first to sound less repititive, second to drum in, perhaps, most of all to myself, that darkness is simply = the absence of light. But of course if you want to put it into the comparison that I added later with thoughts screwed up from lack of sleep, go on. I did too. 
**Sensory blocks are something that really do help me when I want to shield out the world. If you want to stop listening in times when it's just too much or you're hurting too deeply, then you try to shield yourself and hide behind that shield. Personally I grab a radio, turn the knob so that I'm halfway between stations and then I crank up the volume and all I hear is white noise.
When even white can hide so much, fashion divas will tell you that white is the new black. Funny about humans. We seem to like to conceal ourselves. Despite their being skimpy outfits worn everywhere, topped off with an overdose of electric confidence in ignorance, we like to conceal. 
Another point to note is that a philosopher would probably say the same thing as a fashion designer. If you can find one these days. 
Alright. I need to hit my mental snooze button now.
Goodnight. My last thought for tonight - or rather, this early morning, shall be that I am sleeping in darkness.   

No comments:

Post a Comment