Saturday, January 2, 2010

Change/Constant

OOH. I just got over the whole excitement of our new beds arriving. I've been sleeping on a thin mattress on the floor that's older than I am for all my life - mind you, it was passed down to me. That give you an idea of how old it is? Yeah.
Well, yesterday we went shopping for some bedsheets because now instead of the super single size, it's just single. So none of the old ones will really fit well. And apparently since we're going so far as to get new beds, we might as well splurge on new bedsheets too. Apparently we'll build up a formidable collection over time.
I lay down on the bed. It's from King Koil but it's one of their cheaper ones and besides, it was on sale at Tangs.
I didn't like being so close to the ceiling. In fact it gave me sort of a sense of vertigo, like I was flying. That made my head spin round - and so did the reek of the chemicals the bed had been treated with.
But you know something?
Right before Mama and Papa went and put the old pillows and stuff out, I ran up and I dug out my old pillow and bolster. The pillow is all flat and dead and almost nothing really, and the bolster is a flopping fat invertebrate that used to belong to our domestic helper*. But I cuddled them to my body and brought them back inside and placed them proudly and gently on the new clean bed. They looked especially shabby on it, since they had been stripped of their pillowcases and the brownish concentric circles of past tears and maybe some drool stood out like so many sore thumbs. But I lay down and I didn't use the nice new pillow. I curled up into a fetal position and took a nap, feeling like a child again.

*She's been with us since I was born, and just left on a family emergency for the Philippines again. She won't be coming back because she said her Mama was dying. I think she told me right before she left that she just couldn't stand our pets anymore. That hurt but when I cried my Mama just told me not to; other maids are good too.
In fact lots of stuff in this household stay the same for long times at once before finally they change. I used to have long hair down to my waist, and I kept it like that for six years till finally I realized - or maybe remembered - that I never liked it long anyway.

I don't know what this post is about - or do I?

No comments:

Post a Comment