Saturday, January 16, 2010

Love That Cat, Hate That Dog

SHARON Creech has two books, similarly titled Love That Dog, Hate That Cat. Poetry and prose intermingle and have their solo feature moments, debuting amongst all the words I'm that particular stranger-friend grew like flowers with thorns and sweet fragrance in the garden in her mind that was bursting into spring.
I never liked dogs. But my dad does and so does my mum and so does my sister so what choice so I have? What can I do?
I can suffer in silence. I've been doing that my whole life because every time I speak up I seem to hurt someone else.
I come back early from school and am not allowed to go out again after that, maybe for a normal life with friends, just some time to talk and chat even, because I have to feed those mongrels whom I personally think stink and drool like rabid monsters. I sacrifice any social life I might and would have had a little more every day.
I stay up late waiting for my parents to come back home when one of these creatures is sick and they need to bring him or her to some emergency vet place, paying extra money for the 24 hour service.
I mix their food up with my bare hands and end up with stinking hands and dirty nails, and I scrub their germy saliva off the bowls afterwards even on nights when I have to study for the next day's test.
Some of the dogs are from an animal charity. We're supposed to foster them until someone comes by who for some strange reason wants to adopt them. I'll devote another post maybe to ranting about their criteria for choosing them. Anyway, in the end we end up keeping them. The ugly ones, the ones who are old and hard to look after and require endless attention. And who annoy me and frustrate me and anger me every day of my life.
The worst part is that anyone I meet whom I tell I have dogs seem to be under the impression that I like them. I am okay with dogs, I tell them. I'm not afraid, that's for sure. I just have never found it easy to say I love them. Promising my parents that I would look after the dogs we had if they died didn't exactly help either.
Why am I such a blabbermouth?

No comments:

Post a Comment